Becoming a Data Scientist
I am a 31-year-old nobody working as a Data Analytics Manager at a Bank. And I just decided it is not too late to become a data scientist.
In the last ten years, I transformed from a software engineer into a Data Analyst, earned a Master’s degree, and got promoted slowly into a mid-senior level position. Although I was not passionate about anything, I did learn that true love does not exist without commitment.
As the lack of passion caused more ennui by day, I decided to narrow down my focus. And I chose one topic that resonates well with me to go all in. Data Science!
Data Science is a great place to bring together my interests in math, logic, analysis, visualizations, predictions, etc., and build something meaningful. So, my journey as a data scientist begins today.
A successful journey needs a solid plan. With some research, I have come to believe that the following goals might work.
- Devote 25 hours per month to learning
- Write one quality post per month at least
- Build something meaningful using Machine Learning by the end of 2021
- Become adept in Deep Learning concepts by March-2022
- Build something meaningful using Deep Learning by the end of 2022
During this journey, I will repeatedly do the two things below
- Blog : I would like to talk about my learning process and its outcomes. I hope it will help others like me to fall in love with Data Science, but only a lot quicker.
- Coach : I love to coach! At some point, I can imagine guiding others through their journey of becoming a data scientist.